[Diabetes-talk] testing difficulty

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Apr 16 02:32:03 UTC 2011

Ah Mike! Lucky guy, you. First, I totally agree with you about
alternate testing. Not only is it hard to know where you stick
yourself, but many of the instructions require you to get blood in
and stop when the clear cap is full. Yeah right!
But over the past 23 years of testing, I still have phases when it
goes fairly easily and phases where it's frustration and a half. I'm
in one of those right now. I had one night last week when it took me
ten tries before I got a number. What's getting me now is that on
some of my fingers I have these nice great lumps where I've been
sticking myself. So when I try to miss that spot, it's really tough
to get the lancing device to lie flat against my finger to prick deep
enough to get blood. I'm getting into some pretty wild contortions
trying to find a spot that works.
But the biggest area for experimentation is that of how long to milk
your finger, how long to wait before connecting finger with strip. No
matter how good we think we are, there is always an element of
guessing involved. It's so easy to not keep your hand exactly level
and then the blood can run down and not hit the strip. It's so easy
to just not have any blood and waste time trying to hold the strip to
your finger. Oh believe me, I'm not saying we can't do it. I am
saying we need to be honest about things that can be a part of this
process. That's the best way to not be done in by thinking everyone
else is always perfect at it.
So if you're new at it, don't be afraid to experiment with timing,
how you milk your finger and all of that. And know that anytime
you're testing, there just might be another one of us out there
struggling to get a stick done at the same time. And yes, at the
moment I'm trying to make adjustments in my basal rates so I'm
testing 6 to 8 times a day.
So hang in there and keep us posted.

Veronica
We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407