[Diabetes-talk] testing difficulty

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 23 21:38:12 UTC 2011

Dotty:

You will perhaps forgive me if I am rather skeptical about such work.  In
general, such devices try to ascertain bg from intersticial fluid, usually
measuring this via measurements of absorption or reflection of infrared
light.  Turns out this is *far* more complex than anyone imagined when such
devices were proposed in the late 1980's or early 1990's.  Bernadette is
right about the SugarTrak.  Like all other such proposed devices to date,
the SugarTrak was far better at parting potential investors from their
hard-earned dollars than it was at measuring bg.  There are just too many
variables to make this easy.  Even if it comes to pass, I suspect that the
device will have to be calibrated with finger-sticks just as continuous
glucose monitoring systems must be and IMO this rather defeats the purpose.

I do recall sometime last year reading of a guy at MIT who had supposedly
developed an algorithm for mathematically predicting bg readings from the
characteristics of intersticial fluid but haven't heard anything since.  And
I don't know about you but I don't want to ascertain my readings from some
statistical prediction algorithm; I want an actual measurement, preferably
repeatable with an accuracy of, say, 2 mg/dl max difference between
successive tests from the same blood sample and with a percentage accuracy
of one percent difference or systematic error from lab standard!  I don't
ask for much, do I?

Mike