[Diabetes-talk] traveling as a diabetic

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:11:23 UTC 2011

Hello all, since we are in convention season. I wanted to remind all of you when traveling what you should be bringing with you.

Insulin can be held out of the refrigerator indefinitely unless extreme heat or cold is expected, such in the case of going to Orlando in July. Make sure you have some kind of cold pack to put your insulin in, they do sell them at the local pharmacy

Also, you can travel with all your medications in hand or bag or whatever you carry them in to go on the planes.  They will know you are diabetic, just make sure you have the syringes in there original packaging, or bring whatever is needed and put in zip lock bags. No one will take them from you. Same with glucometers.

Do not put them in your bags that are being stored inside the plane, always put in carryon.  I have story, we went to Pennsylvania to visit my mother, and I put my medication in my luggage and not my carryon.  The luggage was never put on the plane in NY, and I had to wait for 4 hours for the Airlines to flying into PA with my luggage and then wait for them to deliver my bags to me.

This took almost 8 hours. I had not insulin, or my husband's medication.

Always use carryon.

Also make sure you are well hydrated and rested. We as diabetics get tired, and don't eat properly when we are away from home.  Don't over do yourself.  Convention is exciting and a lot to take in but pace yourself.

If you haven't booked your hotel for convention yet, please do that!

Cheryl Echevarria
http://www.Echevarriatravel.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.com/>
1-866-580-5574 or 631-456-5394
reservations at echevarriatravel.com<mailto:reservations at echevarriatravel.com>

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise and Travel Inc.