[Diabetes-talk] tendonitis

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Wed Feb 9 15:38:32 UTC 2011

Debbie:

Seven/eight years ago, I had severe carpel tunnel in both hands & one
trigger finger in each hand.  It hurt to bend my fingers and I could not
hold things or even close my fingers into a fist.  If I managed to close the
fist I then needed to use the other hand to help ease it back open.   If I
accidentally knocked my hand into something that could have been enough to
bring tears to my eyes.  They were very bad and very inflamed.  I too wanted
to avoid surgery so I located a very good accupuncturist that was "EXPERT"
in nutrition/supplementation.  Actually she was a friend of my brother and
as a favor to me she would come to the house because she worked in an area I
had no way of traveling to on my own.  She was for some years a nurse in the
practice of Dr. Robert Attkins so she knew her stuff.

I followed the natural course for approx. seven months.  While the vitamins
& supplements over time helped me much more than the steroid injections from
my orthopedist, it eventually came down to surgery to totally correct all
conditions.  I had also used the wrist supports on both hands that made not
a bit of difference in the pain & numbness, but since they are not that
expensive & a lot of people say they help they are worth giving a try.
Acupuncture & supplements are not covered by insurance so they will get
expensive quickly, but they did make a difference.  The thing with it is is
that they are not like drugs that take effect quickly, you must stick with
it for a minimum of 3 months and take a lot of them.  In many cases it is
taking much higher doses than what is on the bottle.  If at all possible try
to find an alternative doctor in your area that can guide you correctly if
this is the route you wish to follow.  I think the thing that we as
diabetics are prone to is the inflamation in the body from the sugars and
that is what reaks havic on our systems on all levels.  I would have stuck
with both the acupuncture & supplements except I could not support the cost
on my own and besides my life was truely hampered by not having the use of
my hands.

If you decide on surgery, shop for a good surgeon they are not all the same.
I had fantastic results from the surgery and got two opinions before going
through with it.  I also had a nerve test done to make sure it was really
carpel tunnel and not diabetic nerve damage.  If you have any carpel tunnel
there are different ways, surgically to handle that.  The trigger finger, I
think, is a more straight forward procedure.  I found an orthapedic doctor
that only delt with problems of the wrist and hands so was comfortable with
what he had to say.

Good luck and if you want more info , contact me off list.

Eileen