[Diabetes-talk] cooking question

Lynn Baillif lbaillif at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 21:56:55 UTC 2011

Hi Julie,
I believe the "basting oil" has garlic and other herbs and spices infused in it.  So, if you did use another oil, you would need to season it and steep it for a while to allow the flavor to develop.  I am not sure what kind of oil they use.  It is either olive or vegetable oil.  You don't usually use too much of it, only enough to brush on the shrimp to make the bread crumbs stick, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for the bread crumbs, I did some research.  Plain dry bread crumbs are about 40 grams carb for a half of a cup.  Panko bread flakes (Japanease bread crumbs) are 20 grams per half of a cup.  Check the label though, since this may vary by brand.  I like using panko because it gives a crisp coating that is lighter and flakier than traditional bread crumbs. But, I still use regular bread crumbs in recipes where it is holding things together like meatloaf and meatballs.

Best of luck and enjoy the shrimp.  Yummmy.
Lynn