[Diabetes-talk] Responses to talkingblood glucosemeters and breakfasts

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jan 8 19:42:59 UTC 2011

Veronica:

Re CGMS devices, I agree with you.  WE as blind folks haven't figured out
how to interpret the data coming from them in a fashion we can interpret.
Frankly, I often feel as though I am crying in the wilderness in that most
blind persons (including some who should know better) do not acknowledge
that in some instances, this being one and set-top boxes being another, we
don't know what data we really want (saying that we want the same data as
the sighted may be idealistic but isn't always practical) nor do we know how
the data should be presented.  Just yelling "WE WANT IT!" or "You figure it
out." Ain't good enough.

I also share your skepticism re calibration of CGMS  devices given the
current wide tolerances allowed manufacturers for bg meters (note I do not
say "glucometers" because this is a trademark of Bayer.

And although I have had some conversation with one CDE who disagrees with
me, for most blind people, alternate site testing doesn't work for the
precise reason many folks like it -- one can't feel where one has poked.

And, like you, I feel noninvasive bg meter technology is primarily designed
to part potential gullible investors from copious quantities of cash!
Recently, I read where one physicist claims he has come up with an algorithm
that accurately predicts bg readings from the light reflected from
intersticial fluid but, frankly, I don't want some device or program telling
me what it thinks my readings are rather than giving me an accurate
measurement.

I disagree only on one point in your message:  I am actually in conversation
with a gentleman at Access Solutions who is actually using a prototype of
the remote and he says it does actually give him readings from a meter in
the system though I don't know which one.  I figure we'll learn more when
Medtronics has something to say.

Mike