[Diabetes-talk] getting blood on to the strip

Lynn Baillif lbaillif at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 22:50:25 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to introduce myself and add to the advice for Ronit.  My name is Lynn Baillif.  I am a blind dietitian and certified diabetes educator from Maryland.  I have been a memeber of the list in the past, and have just rejoined.

Ronit, you have received great advice already.  I'll just add my two cents.  Be sure that your lancing device is set deep enough to get a good blood drop.  Try setting it in the middle and the next time you check your sugar set it lower.  Your goal is to set as low as possible whild still getting a good blood drop.  Before you poke your finger, try holding your arm down by your side with your fingers pointing towards the floor.  Shake your hand for about 30 seconds to allow the blood to pool in your finger tips.  After you have a blood drop, you may find it useful to use your other hand to turn your meter on its side and hold it steady on a table or other flat surface.  Turn your finger so the blood sample faces the strip and then move your finger to the strip.  This technique gives your more room to move your finger around the strip without smearing it on the table.
Wish you well,
Lynn