[Diabetes-talk] getting blood on to the strip

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 00:44:00 UTC 2011

Ronit,

I have been diabetic for twenty-five years, and up until eight years
ago, I was sighted.  I have always had to squeeze my finger to produce
blood to the surface, and when at the doctors office, they squeeze as
well when testing me.  So I think it is a natural thing to have to
squeeze your finger a bit.

I direct the strip to the place where I can feel the sensation of the
prick since this is where the blood will be.  Sometimes, I can feel the
blood, but not always, but I focus on where I can feel the pricked part
of my finger.

With the Prodigy, I have found that slowly sliding my finger from one
side to the other usually helps draw the blood into the tiny groove in
the strip.

It may take some practice, but you will get it.  I, and many others on
this list, have lived independently with diabetes as blind people.  It
takes patience and practice, but you will find the techniques that work
for you, and soon you will be doling out the advice too!  *smile*