[Diabetes-talk] FW: Diabetes Forecast Magazine Now Available on NFB-NEWSLINE(r)

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jun 28 01:53:32 UTC 2011

From: Freeh, Jessica [mailto:JFreeh at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 12:16 PM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Diabetes Forecast Magazine Now Available on NFB-NEWSLINE(r)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Diabetes Forecast Magazine Now Available on NFB-NEWSLINER

Baltimore, Maryland (June 27, 2011): The National Federation of the Blind is
pleased to announce that NFB-NEWSLINER-its free service that provides
independent access by print-disabled people to hundreds of local and
national publications as well as TV and job listings-has collaborated with
the American Diabetes Association to add the magazine Diabetes Forecast to
its lineup of publications.

Offering over three hundred newspapers, magazines, and wire feeds,
NFB-NEWSLINER provides subscribers with on-demand access and the ability to
read only those sections and articles of interest to the user from the
publications available.  Subscribers may read their favorite publications
through a variety of methods, including using a touch-tone telephone,
accessing content on the Web, or downloading publications to Braille
notetakers, digital talking book players, or MP3 players.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"With the addition of Diabetes Forecast, NFB-NEWSLINER continues to expand
the diversity of its offerings to meet the needs and interests of its
subscribers.  Diabetes Forecast may be of special interest to blind
Americans as diabetes is still the leading cause of blindness among adults.
It is important for blind people to have access to resources for health and
wellness in addition to traditional news sources such as daily newspapers
and entertainment magazines."

Larry Hausner, CEO of the American Diabetes Association, said: "We are very
excited to be collaborating with the National Federation of the Blind to
further our outreach to the blind community with important information about
diabetes prevention and management through our Diabetes Forecast magazine.
With diabetes being the leading cause of new cases of blindness among
Americans, it is crucial for us to expand our outreach and help stop this
devastating disease."

"Diabetes Forecast provides information on living healthy and well with
diabetes," said Scott White, who directs the NFB-NEWSLINER program.  "Filled
with resources, recipes, and recommendations, it's a publication that many
of our subscribers will appreciate having available to them."

NFB-NEWSLINER allows those who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to access publications as well as television
and job listings over the telephone, on the Web, or by download to digital
talking book players or MP3-playing devices.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINER, please visit www.nfbnewsline.org
<http://www.nfbnewsline.org/> .  Those interested in subscribing to the
service may fill out the online application form, write to
nfbnewsline at nfb.org, or call (866) 504-7300.  In order to be eligible for
NFB-NEWSLINER, an individual must be a US resident who is legally blind or
has a physical or learning disability that prevents the independent reading
of newspapers.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

About the American Diabetes Association

The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to stop diabetes and
its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes.  The
Association funds research to prevent, cure, and manage diabetes; delivers
services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible
information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of
diabetes.  Founded in 1940, our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and
to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.  For more
information please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES
(1-800-342-2383) or visit www.diabetes.org
<http://www.diabetes.org/?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=PressRelease&utm_campaig
n=PR> .  Information from both these sources is available in English
<http://www.diabetes.org/?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=PressRelease&utm_campaig
n=PR>  and Spanish
<http://www.diabetes.org/espanol/?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=PressRelease&utm
_campaign=PR> .