[Diabetes-talk] Talking Insulin pump is it out yet?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 06:52:42 UTC 2011

I have had great medical staff who believed in my abilities from day
one.  I have been very lucky in this department.  I have actually been
asked to mentor other patients, and our NFB chapter has done
presentations for the diabetes clinic in Omaha.  I am far from perfect,
and I have my days, but my point is that blindness was not a reason to
think I couldn't handle independent management, or an insulin pump.

I have been shocked to learn how many people lack this experience.  I
met one lady a few years ago whose 10-year-old son was handling her
diabetes because she, and her doctors, did not think she could manage it
as a blind person.

I, too, would not change my pump for anything.  It really has made a
difference.

It seems like we have to adjust my rates every few months.  My eating
habits and daily routine are pretty stable, but for some reason, I will
run low and then in 4 to 5 months, I start running high for a time.  I
now will adjust rates on my own when I feel it is necessary, and I have
a temp increase as well as a second basil pattern I can switch to if
necessary.  Like during (I will be diplomatic since we are mixed
company) my lady time of the month-- my readings go crazy so I use my
second basil pattern which has rates set with higher dosages of insulin.
I usually run this for about a week.

It will be interesting to see what Prodigy does.  Hopefully their first
model will be pretty efficient and not require too many updates to fix
bugs.