[Diabetes-talk] wearing your pump

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 21:58:52 UTC 2011

I don't take my pump anywhere near water.  It sounds like some have
pumps that have the ability to be in water.

I would assume that if a pump can undergo a dunk in the pool, it could
withstand a shower.  *smile*

Since I detach from the pump before water activity, I test before doing
so-- including before a shower-- to make sure I don't need a corrective
bolus.  And again, for every hour I am detached, I take one unit of
insulin.  Although, I do not do this during exercise since I have a
tendancy to drop even when I decrease the rates.  Usually, I just remove
the pump before extreme physical activity.  It does depend on my sugars
though.

Each person's body is different and responds differently to activity,
insulin, food and a myriad of other things.  This is why your doctors
spends time determining what your pump settings should look like, and
what, and how many, carbs you should eat.

I have a higher metabolism which means I burn calories faster than some.
My body responds very quickly to insulin too.  Diabetes, to an extent,
is based on the individual.

We can provide our experiences, but what works for me, may not work for
someone else.

As we have seen, many of us have different experiences with the pump.

And I would like to add that pumps are not the end-all-be-all.  You can
have just as much success and flexibility on injections especially those
using a product like Lantis.

It is what you, and your doctor, are comfortable with.

Of course, doctors are human and they do not possess all the answers.  I
have found you have to have a chemistry of sorts with doctors otherwise
the relationship will go nowhere.  Much like dating!  *smile*  You must
find the right one for you.