[Diabetes-talk] Fw: coverage of accessible meters and strips

Lynn Baillif lbaillif at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 03:05:38 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to throw in my two cents.  As a Diabetes
Educator, I have struggled to help many clients obtain
accessible testing supplies.  Although, in theory, all
that is needed is a letter of medical necessity and clearly
written rx from the doctor, it never goes smoothly.
Often, I have found that the information needs to be sent
in, and then a lot of time is spent on the phone to
follow-up.  I have had the experience of an insurer
only wanting to pay for a meter that is not fully
accessible.  But, after appealing to the Medical
Director, I did finally obtain the appropriate meter.

There are too many hoops to jump through.  It should
not be this hard.  And I am troubled to hear of these
recent problems.  Hopefully, we can make a difference.
Lynn