[Diabetes-talk] Accessible Diabetes Resources, and some Questions

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Sep 23 03:03:06 UTC 2011

Tina:

Another diabetes resource that is close to home is the American Diabetes
Association's monthly magazine, "diabetes Forecast". It's available on NFB
NewslineR. Additionally, if you look on the BARD site, there are a plethora
of diabetes resources ranging from the Joslin Center and American Diabetes
Associations guides to Atkins's New Diabetes Revolution. Learning Ally has a
number of excellent books including Hope Warshaw's "Complete Guide to Carb
Counting" and Dr. William Polonsky's "Diabetes Burnout: what to Do When You
Can't Take it Anymore". BookShare has a number of books including Dr.
Richard K. Bernstein's diabetes books.

As for your question, you are right to be skeptical. First, once a person
has diabetes, he/she has it for life, be it Type 1 or Type 2 or LADA or MODY
or any of the other more esoteric types of diabetes. To be sure, *some*
persons with Type 2 can handle diabetes using just diet and exercise, i.e.,
without medication, assuming said persons lose enough weight and keep the
carbs down to a dull roar and eat enough fiber. But this is by no means
guaranteed and often oral medications and insulin are required as time
passes -- diabetes is seldom a static disease.

Second, fingersticks are used to ascertain blood glucose levels. Almost all
diabetics ought to monitor their blood glucose so claiming that one can
successfully treat diabetes without monitoring is pure hokum. One may not
have to test very often assuming one's diabetes is well-controlled and
stagle but that seems foolish.

Mike