[Diabetes-talk] HBA1C calculators.

Michael Park pageforpage at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 23:54:02 UTC 2012

Hi there.

I am also sending copies of this email to some of my diabetic friends in
South Africa, as well as to a South African diabetes forum to which I
belong and although I am addressing a South African audience, have still
tried to give this post a bit of an international flavour for the
benefit of everyone else.

Not quite sure how useful this is going to be to folks on the community,
but I have discovered a tool which can give you a fairly good idea of
what your HBA1C is going to be before you even go to the doctor. The
tool can be found on the Accu-chek web site for the United States and is
situated at
https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/a1c-calculator.html#

I went searching for this tool in response to a question put by someone
who belongs to one of the other international diabetes forums to which I
also belong.

The only thing that you should bear in mind if you are going to use this
tool, is that you will have to convert our MMol/L to mg/dl which is the
measuring unit peculiar to the United States only, as far as I can
ascertain. In order to convert MMol/L to mg/dl, simply multiply our
numbers by 18 so that a reading of 6.0, for instance, would translate
into 108 in US terms and 6.5 would translate into 117.

I have tried using the calculator, using my sugar averages from old
diaries and the reading compares well with HBA1C's I recorded in the past.

What you should note is that the HBA1C figures in the USA work out to
the same as the unit we use here, so that if your HBA1C would be say,
6.0 here, it will also be 6.0 in the United States.

If you do not live in the United States and you cannot do the sums, I
would recommend a programable unit converter called Converber the
portable version of which can be downloaded from
http://www.portableapps.com

You will have to program the unit conversions for diabetes into the
program, but that is a relatively simple task to do. If you are stuck on
how to do this, please feel free to write me and we can perhaps arrange
to chat on Skype on the net and help you to do the conversion.

If you are stuck regarding getting the program, I think I have a copy
here which I can send you.

Finally, the Accu-chek web site is screen reader accessible, and in
particular, and for the benefit of NVDA users, it is also NVDA friendly.

--
Michael Park.
I am not an expert, because "ex" means "has been" and "spert" is "a drip under pressure".

Share files that are too large to send by email, videos and more. Join me on DropBox by going to:
http://db.tt/mMDz7Zqz
or join Sheena at
http://db.tt/dhfrtNIv

For ministry needs, write us at biblical.counselling2008 at gmail.com

Please consider making a donation to NVDA, insuring that blind people all over the world, will be able to afford access to technology by going to
http://www.nvaccess.org/wiki/Donate