[Diabetes-talk] testing with meter

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 11 01:48:09 UTC 2012

Dar:

I don't understand the difference between what you're doing and what the
nurse did. Sometimes sighted persons poke you, then bring your finger to the
strip before inserting it into the meter. I find this impractical for a
blind person so I poke myself, then hold the finger flat and bring the meter
(with strip inserted) to the blood. This is the way both Prodigy and Solo
tell us to do it.

Either way, as long as there's enough blood on the strip, it shouldn't make
a difference. Please bear in mind that meters need only to be within twenty
percent of lab standard and, frankly, this is IMO an inexcusably large
tolerance to be allowed. But I wouldn't be so preoccupied about it all.
Stewing about it is probably enough to bring your A1C up a bit anyway.
Relax.

Mike Freeman