[Diabetes-talk] Accessibility questions, help needed

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:47:59 UTC 2012

So true, Mike. So many people, diabetic and non-diabetic, think they
know what foods we can and can not have, but the reality is that, just
like everyone, our bodies respond and react differently to foods and
lifestyle. What works for one diabetic, may not yield the same results
for another.

I've rarely had dietry restrictions especially since going on a pump. As
long as I take and follow my insulin plan and test frequently, I don't
notice lots of fluctuations because I may have ate what some consider a
"undiabetic friendly" food. Being pregnant, I now have noticed drastic
changes in what works for me, but this will also change once I deliver
too.

So like Mike says, it's ultimately up to an individual to figure out how
best to manage diabetes. I try to avoid eating a lot of sugar and never
do sugar drinks, but we also need to consider carbs. Pasta seems to be
the only carb that will do silly things to my glucose levels, so I take
more insulin when eating pasta.

And weight can certainly play a role in diabetic management, but losing
weight isn't a guarantee it will resolve any issues. So many variables
are involved.

The best advice I can give is to not necessarily avoid or stop eating
certain foods, but to stick to actual serving sizes, follow your insulin
and/or diabetic management plan including testing frequently and
exercise regularly; like a really good cardio.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan