[Diabetes-talk] Spike.

Michael Park pageforpage at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:07:07 UTC 2012

I'm a brittle type II diabetic and on tablets. I have very good sugar
control with just the tablets. This year, as from 1 January to the
present, for instance, I have only had 3 readings over 180 compared to
the 5 of last year at the same time. I manage this control without
starving myself and, to give you a good idea of the sort of control I
have, my average for the last 180 readings is 119. This is a bit higher
than the norm that I set myself, namely anywhere between 90 and 117,
although my averages, when compliant, seldomly drop below 108.

I must stress that my sugar control is one that works for me, and that
it will not necessarily work for the next diabetic. What I am saying
here, therefore, is not intended as a definitive solution to the
problem, but is intended as presenting avenues to explore.

Having said that, there are a number of factors that a type II has to
bear in mind when controlling his/her sugars. The most important factor
is to try and determine what your sugar management norms are. These, as
I already indicated, will differ from person to person. The only way in
which you will find out what your norm is, is to test regularly, keep a
thorough diary of your results and then to try and identify patterns.

Once you have identified your patterns, you need to try and refine the
diet you have been given, in order to re-inforce that pattern, that is,
assuming that the pattern is a good one. If the pattern is not a good
one, i.e. if sugars are too high or too low, then various things will
need to be fine tuned. You may need to vary your diet, or you may need
to change your medication. Bear in mind that the generic diabetic diet
simply does not exist in the sense that what may be good for one
diabetic, may not necessarily be good for another diabetic. As an
illustration of my point, I have found that I get better blood sugars if
I use rice as my starch rather than potatoes. While I love potatoes, I
only have those as a treat. For the rest, I stick to rice. I agree that
the potato thing may not be a problem for other diabetics.

Consequently, in the light of what I have just said, I personally,
totally reject out of hand, the notion of "fits one, fits all" when it
comes to sugar management. The general norms laid down for sugar
management, is therefore, only a point of departure--nothing more.

In short, I manage sugars through diet and exercise and I deal with
spikes as and when they arise. The advantage of keeping a diary is that
it is often possible to deal with the cause of spikes whenever these arise.

I know that David Mendosa and I would not agree, but I also use fruit as
a means of controlling blood sugar. I have a fruit at breakfast, a fruit
for my midmorning snack and a fruit for an afternoon snack. As far as
the late night snack is concerned, I have a far greater lattitude as to
what I can or cannot have. The fruit I usually have is an apple.

Apples have a low glycaemic index value and a high glycaemic load which
means that the overall effect of apples on blood sugar management, is to
sustain blood sugar levels from one meal to another, so that they will
not drop too low.

Another factor that could impact on the possibility of sugars spiking,
could be the medications you are on. These may not necessarily be
diabetic medication, but could instead, be medication you take for other
problems.

As I intimated in an earlier post to the list, I have recently gone onto
probiotics because my immune system has effectively been fried by the
quantities of antibiotics I had been taking of late. I have learnt that
probiotics do tend to lower blood sugars, but other medications again
may tend to raise blood sugars, thus causing sugars to spike.

In such cases, in the same way as I have to also do, one needs to change
the diet to suit the conditions, but one must make sure that you don't
starve yourself in the process either.

Spiking blood sugars could also be due to infection. You may not have
the classical signs of infection, but that does not mean that you must
rule out the possibility of infection.

If you are about to see the doctor, a test done to measure your blood
cell count, will be a definite tell-tail sign of infection if your white
blood cell count is up.

There are numerous factors that could bring about a spike in blood
sugars, both environmental and personal/emotional, but I don't want to
try and make a complete list of the possible causes here.

The question that remains is the question, what to do if my sugars
spike? I am going to assume here that spikes are in the vacinity of 180
to about 280.

One of the things I have often come across in diabetes forums both here
in South Africa and around the world, is the quick fix solution and I am
afraid that I would not want to be seen dead near some of the solutions
that have been proposed. The idea is to strike the right balance between
intervention and non-intervention and I personally am of the view that
if intervention is necessary, it should be an intervention which should
be as conservative as possible. If the intervention is drastic, this
could at best contribute to very unstable blood sugars and in the worst
case scenario, could even drive blood sugars down to dangerously low
levels. This could most likely be the case, especially if you cannot
ascertain the cause of the spike in the first place.

Obviously, if you are on insulin and the doctor has given you a sliding
scale to administer insulin in the case of a spike, it is OK to use that
sliding scale. One would assume that the doctor would take all factors
known to him, into account when prescribing a sliding scale for the
administration of insulin.

The sort of intervention which is the safest for type II diabetics not
on insulin, is just to insure that you drink enough water and if the
sugar levels don't drop, to make a plan to see the doctor.

Obviously, if you are recording readings say, in excess of 280, you will
most likely find yourself on crisis territory and the doctor may have to
be contacted sooner or later.

What to do if your sugars spike? One of the most important lessons that
my nurse care-giver has taught me, is to learn to listen to my body and
as far as it may be appropriate, to just do what my body feels like
doing. If your sugars are spiking or if they go the other way, and you
feel tired, that is perfectly OK.

Let me mention that I basically manage my sugars through diet, tablets
and exercise. My exercise program has been designed by a biocheneticist
and having familiarised myself with what a competent biocheneticist can
do, I would strongly recommend that every diabetic should see a
biocheneticist as part of the treatment.

Michael Park.
I am not an expert, because "ex" means "has been" and "spert" is "a drip under pressure".