[Diabetes-talk] A Plea and a Push for Accessible Diabetes Technology

Tom and Eileen Rivera Ley RiveraLey at Verizon.net
Sun Sep 9 03:04:15 UTC 2012

Dear list,

I created a three-minute video on the need for all diabetes technology to be
accessible to the blind.

It is posted on YouTube. I entered it into a contest sponsored by
DiabetesMine.org and the California Health Care Foundation. They were
seeking people with diabetes to represent the community at a technology
summit they are holding in November on the campus of Stanford University in
Palo Alto, CA.

The purpose of the summit is to get input from various stakeholders on the
needs diabetes technology should address in the future. In attendance will
be representatives from the diabetes technology industry (Medtronic, Animas,
etc.) government regulators, the gaming industry, and the diabetes
community.

Fortunately, based on my video, I was one of the ten "persons with diabetes"
selected and will attend the summit with my wife, Eileen, in November. I'll
have opportunities to speak directly to industry leaders and others when I
participate on panel discussions and other activities. The summit organizers
are taking all the winning videos and creating a video to play during one of
the sessions.

So, if you are of a mind to help, spread the word. You can view the video at
this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DBZvqVaOCA

You can "like" the video on Youtube and post it to your Facebook pages or
tweet the Youtube link, or, email it around, the old fashioned way. Thanks.

Tom Ley
Towson, MD