[Diabetes-talk] Intro, and questions

Terri S princessterri76 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 02:01:46 UTC 2012

Hello there,

My name is Terri, and I joined this list to get support with my type II
diabetes. I was on this list maybe 2 years ago. But I don't think I was on
here for very long. I think I was living in Michigan at the time.

I am 36, and I am totally blind. I have been since birth. I am currently
living in Georgia. My diabetes is pretty well under control. Though I really
am not good about dieting, or exercising. These are some things I really
want to change. I just have trouble staying motivated.

I've had diabetes for about 4, maybe 5 years now. I was on insulin at one
point. Then there was a period where I was on nothing, because I watched
what I ate. When I did this, I managed to lose about 19 pounds. I was very
proud of myself.

Before the insulin, I took a combination pill twice a day. This didn't work
too well for me, and this was one reason I was switched to the insulin. That
worked very well for me. Now I take Metformin, (not sure of the spelling),
twice a day. Just 500 MG.

I know I am very lucky, even though I don't follow a diet like I should. My
last a1c was 6.1. Though it's been better in the past. I want it lower next
time I get it done. Which should be in October.

Now here are some questions I have. There is a reason I gave all that
background information.

Right now where I live we don't eat healthfully. I basicly eat what is
cooked for me. I don't have a lot of say as to what is prepared. I mean, I
do a little, but do to personal reasons that I don't feel I should go into
here, it's just best that you eat what is served. So we eat a lot of fried
foods, and fatty foods. Also, a lot of bread, and lunchmeat. Also, mayo.
Then when I eat what I want, I tend to eat a lot of junk food, and suggary
snacks. Even though I know I shouldn't. I just love it so much, and I crave
it.

Well, I am noticing that I am almost always hungry. It seems pretty
constant. I know I should be eating small meals about every 2 hours, or so.
But what kinds of things should I eat?
I drink a lot of diet soda, and I'd really like to cut back on this, if I
can. I hate water though. Is chrystal lite really good for you?

I would like to know, are there non-refridgerated snacks I can get that I
can eat on, that will keep me feeling full? I think that might help me a
lot.

Any advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated!
I apologize that this is so long. But I do appreciate you all taking the
time to read this.

Thank you,

Terri