[Diabetes-talk] Intro, and questions

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 02:31:24 UTC 2012

Dear Terri:

Welcome back to the list. First of all, you've taken a big first step by
asking questions. You might wish tocontact Kay Jordan; she is President of
the DAN affiliate in Georgia. Her phone number is: (404) 794-5724. She is a
very nice lady and can help you to get your motivation back.

Second, the very latest research shows that it's better to eat three square
meals a day rather than many small meals in order to lose weight as was
heretofore thought. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to eat tons of
fried food and higher-carb stuff such as bread all the time although it now
appears that such things as mayo are not as harmful to people with diabetes
as was once thought (mayo has virtually no carbohydrate and it's the
carbohydrate that raises your blood glucose the most). For snacks, I'd
recommend things like string cheese, peanuts and cashoos. But one must be
mindful of how much of this stuff one eats. In fact, although you seemed to
be reluctant to reveal why you feel you must eat what is put in front of
you, I'm afraid that whatever diabetes diet (high carb or low carb) you
choose to follow, you're going to have to take control of your eating --
both in quality and in quantity of what you eat -- if you're ultimately
going to be successful at losing weight and controlling your diabetes,
especially over the long haul.

Crystal Lite is just fine; it has no calories, fat or carbohydrate. But
you're going to have to decide that it's your body, your diabetes and
therefore you're going to be the one that decides what to put in your body
and how you'll control your diabetes.

There are various opinions as to what's the best meal plan for diabetics; we
can point you at the research and you'll have to make your own decisions.
For diabetes is one of those diseases where the patient is in large measure
the one that controls the disease.

I'll let some others chime in here and may comment further later. For now,
I'd recommend you read Gretchen Becker's book, available on BARD: "The First
Year: Type 2 Diabetes; A Guide for the Newly-diagnosed".

Hang in there!

Mike Freeman