[Diabetes-talk] Introduction and the first of many questions.

COLLEEN ROTH N8TNV at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 28 23:44:29 UTC 2012

Hi Lynda,
I think you are having a natural reaction to your diagnosis given the fact that no one in your family has experienced this disease.
Yes, Lynda, it is a disease, but it's not the end of the world.
Your husband is not being very helpful.
Diabetics do count carbs.
There are materials available to help you manage your Diabetes. I got some materials from Independence Market of the National Federation of the Blind for about fifteen dollars.
The books are very helpful. There are cookbooks available and sometimes the blind recipe exchange list posts some.
You will find many ideas and suggestions on this list.
You do need to practice using your Prodigy Voice Meter so that you will be proficient when testing becomes more important.
I can tell you that I lost 48 pounds in a little over a year.
I had weighed the same for 23 years so this was quite an achievement.
The key is you do not have to say no to things. You have to be careful what you eat but you do not need to view this as a denial of things you like to eat.
You just need to reduce portions.
For example I love Chocolate pie. I know that when I go to the doctor's office I will stop at one of my favorite restaurants with Amish food. Knowing this, I plan around this for that day so that I can have that piece of Chocolate pie.
Try using multigrain bread, wholewheat or multigrain pasta, sugar-free drinks. I also cut down my portions.
The first six months were very difficult. I was hungry at times so had to figure out how to adjust to this feeling.
My stomach did shrink. I did go back to sugar in my coffee because I simply cannot stand splenda.
Sometime I can just use cream but if coffee is strong I have to put in that sugar.
Your husband is not you. If you want to eat half a bagel, go ahead.
Just remember to figure out how many carbs that is. In the beginning, you may want to have people read carbs on packages.
Choose someone who is not going to tell you what to eat.
Ultimately, that is up to you.
The main thing is portion control. Three fourths of your plate should be vegetables.
Good luck.
You may feel free to write me offlist.
Colleen Roth