[Diabetes-talk] insurer's accessibility misconduct

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Apr 11 09:47:43 UTC 2013

Would it be at all possible to track federal health insurance providers in
terms of what meters and supplies they're providing their blind customers
in time for the next insurance open season in November of 2013?  I have
g.e.h.a. high option and my insurer insisted on providing me with a
lifestyle lite which is not accessible as compared to the solo or prodigy
voice meters.  Their action in my case can be justified for the time being
since I'm on glucofage and so far haven't had any low blood sugar
incidents or high blood sugar incidents.  Perhaps their strategy will be
to wait until one of these incidents happens then switch me back to a more
accessible meter.  Economically this would make sense, but I had to find a
pharmacist to set the meter up for me and show me how to put the test
strips in the meter.