[Diabetes-talk] Solus V2

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Apr 18 23:05:19 UTC 2013

Hello, Julie.
Your insurance company reveals the usual ignorance about the needs of blind diabetics. Neither the Advocate nor the Embrace meters are fully accessible. They can speak the current reading but do not allow a blind person to independently review readings from memory nor do they allow a blind person to independently set time, date and other meter parameters.
You should get your prescribing physician to write a prescription stating that you specifically need the Solus V2; that no other meter is acceptable. Ideally, your physician should be willing to call your insurance company directly and jawbone their personnel till they cry "Uncle"! Often this is enough to get the company to acquiesce. If not, I would be glad to try to help you.
What state do you live in?
If all else fails, you could see if the Prodigy Voice or Autocode are covered. If the Autocode is covered, you could buy the Voice because it uses the same strips as the Autocode. The Prodigy Voice is also fully accessible.
hTH!

Mike Freeman