[Diabetes-talk] Fwd: FDA Warning Letter Issued to Prodigy Diabetes care

Dorothea Martin bestsinger at samobile.net
Sat Aug 31 07:27:38 UTC 2013

Hello, Mike and All,
It seems to me thatr any glucometer which gives the diabetic a false reading t
rather than the information that there is not enough blood on the strip
would come under the FDA's umbrella of concern. That description fits
most talking glucometers. The problem as I see it is that we need to
have our cake and eat it too on this one. We need a gadget which is
cheap electronics so that our insurance will pay for it, but we need it
to have the accuracy and the large memory of a professional machine,
one that we couldn't pay for and wouldn't want to carry around if we
could. I am concerned that this FDA effort to raise the bar will
unwittingly knock out talking meters. The only talking meters which do
not have this problem are the new AutoSense Plus, made in Hungary and
not sold in the US, and the BioSense meters. Now if we remove the
Hungarian meter from consideration, that leaves American diabetics with
no choice, and what is more dangerous, no competition.
Dotty Martin