[Diabetes-talk] question about high numbers and pumps

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:36:58 UTC 2013

There are others who can speak with more experience, but I've been on a
pump for ten years, and most here know I absolutely love it. No, it's
not for everyone, but more and more diabetics are switching to pumps,
and most kids are put on pumps ASAP.

I have experienced the best control over my glucose levels ince
switching to a pump. I've been type 1 diabetic for 30 years, so that's
saying something. Rates can be set up throughout the day depending on
various things like meals, activity and times of day you experience
extremes. This is similar to how the pancreas works. You then count
carbs for meals and snacks and deliver a bolus only when you eat. I
bolus after meals so I only get insulin for whatever carbs I eat at any
given time. Again, similar to how a pancreas works.

I also have more freedom to eat at different times and not always
scheduled times and be active whenever due to the ability to adjust
those basal rates throughout the day. My pump can have hurly rates to
every 15 minutes if need be. This is great as a mommy of a six-month-old
since I'm lucky if I get to eat before 5 pm when daddy gets home, grin.

You and a endo would determine your basal rates and bolus. For instance,
I bolus one unit per every 20 grams of carbs. And your basal rates will
usually be adjusted from time to time depending health, changes in
activity and/or eating habits, and if like me, sometimes your body just
experiences changes requiring adjustments to basal rates.

As most of us know, there's currently no fully accessible pump, but
those of us who use them have found pumps that work. I currently use a
Cosmo, but they're no longer available. When I get a new one, I will use
the Animas, unless something better has come along by that point.

I'm able to count beeps as I navigate my pump. Every time I press a
button, it beeps, notifying me it is doing the function. Some menus are
simple enough that I have memorized, and othes, I follow written
directions. I do need a sighted person to adjust my basal rates and fill
cartridges, though I can fill cartridges but prefer a sighted person for
this.

My pump has four buttons, so it's not difficult.

If this doesn't make sense or I'm not addressing something, please let
me know. And like I said, there are others who can speak more
intelligently on this subject.