[Diabetes-talk] Victoza

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 02:46:49 UTC 2013

I agree that "too young" may be an excuse. On the other hand, although it
may well appear that the good doctor is terminally ignorant (I gather that
he is not an endo), it may also be that he is trying to be diplomatic. What
he may *really* be thinking (and I mean no criticism here) is that he
wonders whether (given her frequent confusion and questions) Dar can handle
rigorous carb-counting. To be sure, he could put her on 70/30 insulin twice
a day but it isn't clear to me whether this would be an improvement on her
present regimen. But between Jim (her hubby) and her, they probably can
figure it out. She'll need to work with a CDE to learn the skills of
carb-counting and we can reinforce them.

As for victosa, from all I've heard, it really does help many Type 2's; I
know one guy whom itreally helped; it brought his A1C down a good bit and he
lost weight. No side effects. I realize that the FDA raised a stink about
victosa but remember that there are a bunch of lawyers involved and they
have to err on the side of caution.

Like others here, I'd recommend going to insulin. But Dar has to be willing
to learn the techniques backward and forward till she can count carbs after
three drinks!

Cheers!

Mike