[Diabetes-talk] accessible Insulin pumps

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 23 18:39:36 UTC 2013

I also use the Cosmo, which has been great. I plan to use the Animas
Ping next, though I don't like it as much as the Cosmo.

We go round and round this topic frequently. I've spoke with a few
computer programmers who believe it wouldn't take much to put text on a
pump, as opposed to icons, which many pumps use, and create a voice-over
feature that was completely accessible and wouldn't cost the reported
millions many companies and other blind people say it would. The problem
is that, like most companies with most products, they have no interest
in creating accessible products, and since blind consumers are a
minority among consumers, they don't view it as worth it.

And accessible or not, so many believe using a pump is dangerous for a
blind person, and in most cases, impossible. It's the age old discussion
that is it really blindness that's creating the problem, or is it the
lack of positive attitudes, proper training and complete accessibility
creating the problem? These opponets have a greater hold of the ear of
pump companies than those of us encouraging a solution.

Why a company like Prodigy would halt production on accessible insulin
pumps is beyond me, especially since the Prodigy talking meter is
popular and widely used among those with visual impairments.

I may be wrong, but at this point, I think the blind voice speaking out
on this issue is being done by individuals. Perhaps if a larger
collective were to take up the banner, at least a louder buzz would be
heard.

Like Veronica, I'm frustrated but choose to continue to be optimistic,
because without this concept of hope, what's left?