[Diabetes-talk] accessible Insulin pumps

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jun 23 20:00:39 UTC 2013

Julie:

At least here in the U.S., FDA approval is needed to market any such device.
And FDA considers the *whole* device, not just the pump *or* the display.
Thus, FDA would have to approve *both* the iPhone or Android app *and* the
pump and/or CGMS system if such is part of the pumping system. There is one
meter in this country that does communicate with an iPhone app. But the app
is not accessible and even if it were to be made so, FDA would insist upon
going through the whole 510(k) process for the accessible version of the
app, i.e., it won't consider the accessibility features of an app as merely
providing an alternative display.

AS for the Prodigy pump, there was an announcement several years ago that
Prodigy was going to "temporarily" cease development of the product.

And Roche has been going to develop at least some kind of new device useful
to the blind and visually impaired ever since 2006 and the "going to" target
date keeps receeding into the future. It's a common-sense inference that
anything that recedes like that is a mirage! (grin)

There has been some intimations on this and other lists that Johnson and
Johnson is developing an accessible pump. However, I have seen absolutely
*no* evidence of such a development and no one I trust has been able to
confirm such development.

The one creditable effort in this regard is by a gentleman, James Kubel, who
spoke at our diabetes seminar last year in Dallas. He has developed the
prototype of a talking remote control that will communicate with most
Medtronics pumps and meters wirelessly. I can send you his presentation via
dropbox if you'd like. You might want to look at <http://www.pump-mate.com>
also. However, he has not been able to get much backing from Medtronics
except at the engineering level and most of the engineers he worked with
were "let go" fromMedtronics. He has asked the NFB for help in trying to get
things moving.

I know the need for an accessible insulin pump is considered desperate by
many and everyone is hoping for such a creature. However, I think we must be
brutally honest with ourselves and face some hard facts:

(1) There is no law, either in the U.s. or elsewhere, to my knowledge, that
mandates that medical equipment such as blood glucose meters, A1C and/or
keton measuring equipment or insulin pumps, be accessible to the blind.

(2) We, the blind (yes, even diabetics), are a very small minority. One of
the consequences of this fact is that it is just not worthwhile for major
diabetes equipment manufacturers to develop accessible equipment. When it
happens, it's gravy to us. But it is unlikely to happen short of a legal
mandate. And in the U.S., the current political climate is unfriendly, to
say the least, to proposals to place *any* mandates on business.

(3) Some have suggested that the national Federation of the Blind itself
develop an accessible insulin pump. It's not going to happen. Why? Because
we're a nonprofit corporation and, as such, owe a fiduciary duty to those
who contribute financially to us. It therefore would be irresponsible in the
extreme, moral as we might believe it to be, to incur the potential medical
liability inherent in the development, approval process and marketing of an
accessible insulin pump.

(4) I have contacts at the FDA and it may ultimately require FDA action to
get things moving here in the U.S. But I'm afraid that, short of some high
muckety in a company such as Roche, Medtronics or Sanofi-Aventis developing
diabetes or one of his/her relations developing it and, more ideally, if
said individual developed diabetic retinopathy or blindness (though this is
not what we would wish for), I'm afraid that we can talk till we're blue in
the face and little will come out of it barring a miracleor a legal mandate.

But we keep trying.

Mike Freeman, President
Diabetes Action Network
National Federation of the blind