[Diabetes-talk] What is an Accucheck Aviva?

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Jun 29 04:37:23 UTC 2013

Basically what I have done is taken the usual Braille 'n speak cable,
connected it to the meter's cable, plugged it in and issued the command. On
the Braille 'n speak I type the command, mem. This causes a memory dump and
then I just start reading. After the serial number and the number of
readings available, on each line is a reading and the time it was taken,
starting with the most recent. One of the things I've grown to like about
this method over the years is that if there's anyone else around, the way
that braille 'n speak chatters, nobody figures out my reading but me.
Hahahahaha!
I know that Chris Gray started to make a little box to connect to the
FreeStyle meters but as far as I know, it never got past beta. I did try it
and it was okay but had a few really major flaws. For one, it totally
crashed whenever it got an error message or if you interrupted a test by
pulling out a strip. And when it crashed, the only remedy was taking out the
battery, which couldn't be done by any mere mortal because the fit was so
tight. You could set the time and date, but for some reason, it kept
changing the date and time on my meter to something really strange. And the
speech was so slow that it drove me crazy. But I would have liked to have
had a finished product, even if it spoke slowly.
I sure don't understand why today it's not okay for blind people to have
choices. Oh I forgot! We're all alike. <evil laugh!> But I do love this
meter so my little Braille 'n Speak will probably make one more trip to
Batteries Plus to see if I can keep it limping along for awhile.
Veronica

Watch the video as The Guide Dog Glee Club sings "Rehab!" Yes! Yes! Yes!
http://youtu.be/JvakJ5lk6Us
Then find more music from Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407