[Diabetes-talk] read through the Diabetes Manifesto

Julie Kline julie.kline at rochester.rr.com
Thu May 2 17:35:12 UTC 2013

Hi Mike and all who read this,

Thanks for recommending this book.  I read it through over a few days and it
made for an interesting read.  What I enjoy about the author is that she's
real, honest, blunt, and not afraid to say it like it is, at least in her
experience.  If I took anything away from this book, actually I did take
quite a lot, I've learned from her that dealing with diabetes related
complications is a crapshoot.  Sometimes things just happen no matter what
you do or how hard you try.  Listening to what she experiences and talks
about, I'm thankful that I haven't been down the same road she has, and so
far I'm at 2 years living with type 2 and no major complications.  I'm not
sure I'd throw this at someone who is newly diagnosed; I think the Gretchen
Becker book might be a better choice for that, but I like that she gave
voice to things I've thought about and other experiences I have had, but
didn't want to ask the question at the risk of creating an awkward situation
or unintentionally offending someone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Julie