[Diabetes-talk] Fwd.: FDA Warning Letter Issued to Prodigy Diabetes care

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Sep 2 19:32:58 UTC 2013

Bernie:

I didn't see any quote here and often when I look at your messages on my
iPhone, I have to punch a "hidden message" button to see your replies. What
mail client are you using?

On the matter of diabetes device design, I feel compelled to caution all of
you (Dotty and others) that development of a separate speech box won't make
a spec of difference in the process for talking meter approval: the FDA will
insist upon testing the box with *each* meter with which it would purport to
work before issuing 510(k) approval to market the box with any meters -- and
it will allow marketing of the box to work *only* with the meters it has
tested. This seems daft to us in that we think it's perfectly reasonable to
separate data access from the accuracy of the underlying devices. But it is
we, the public, who have insisted upon such tests and devices and it seems
perfectly reasonable, perhaps rightly, to most people to test the combined
system of meters and display devices (for that's what a speech box really
is).

I know we're looking for easy/cheap/simple solutions and for villains whom
we can castigate for their perfidy. But there aren't any. Even the FDA's
carping in the Prodigy warning, valid as it may be, is unrealistic. For
example, it cited Prodigy for not supplying lot numbers of strips that
purportedly were giving trouble. But how many of you know what your strip
lot number is? How much better if the warning had concentrated on improving
control procedures and asking Prodigy who would be fired if mistakes weren't
immediately caught before strip release?

So let's put our thinking caps on and come up with suggestions that will
bear fruit in the current political and regulatory climate. After all, we
have been chosen to deal with the here-and-now, not utopia.

Mike Freeman