[Diabetes-talk] INDEPENDENCE

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 23:55:17 UTC 2013

Julie,

I hope you can stay on top of things.  I have been a brittle diabetic  for
55 years and I have seen a lot of changes, attitudes and improvements over
that time.

I am thankful for talking blood glucose machines and the ability of testing
 my own blood sugars.  I only have been blind for 16 years, but it has been
 my job to handle my diabetes since my early teens.  I was diagnosed with
diabetes at the age of 7 and have been on insulin since that time.

I am not at your level of AC1, but not too far off.  Since I have to  test
and calculate insulin coverage according to food intake, blood sugar levels
and low blood sugars that I do not have any feelings or warnings when they
occur, I have to use what is available out there for a blind diabetic.

My greatest loss 16 years ago was not the loss of my sight.  It was  the
loss of my INDEPENDENCE.  With each adaptive device that has come out  and
hopefully the improvements for newer and better technology, each of these
things gives me a piece of that INDEPENDENCE back.

Joyce  Kane
Blindhands at AOL.com

In a message dated 9/2/2013 2:40:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,