[Diabetes-talk] why I don't test myself

Sandi Ryan sjryan2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 23:20:21 UTC 2013

Diet and exercise are never ever an answer for Type 1 diabetics.  And once
we Type 2's are diagnosed, we always have the disease, even if our A1C's are
great.  We just sometimes get a break!  And of course one never knows how
long that break will be.  I actually had to beg my doctor to prescribe a
meter for me.  With an A1C of 5.0, my doctor, a long-term Type 1, said I
didn't need to check my blood sugar.  We'd just check the A1C every three to
six months.  But I won--I have the meter, and the strips, and I check my
blood.  But I do feel fortunate that I don't need to check it several times
a day.  I've never gotten over the chill that goes down my spine when I use
the lancet, and then when there's either not enough blood or I get a freaky
response, it's really frustrating!

And I'd certainly never say that people whose diabetes is not under good
control aren't as good as me.  No, it's pure luck--that's all it is!  My
point was just that Type 2's sometimes get a little break.

Sandi