[Diabetes-talk] why I don't test myself

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Sep 2 23:37:20 UTC 2013

Hey sandi! Testing four times a day ain't so bad or even more as Bridgit
Polpeter had to do when she was pregnant. Most (though not all) people
really do get used to it. And the less one fusses and stews about it, the
less of a problem it becomes. Even with errant meters and flaky insurance,
it beats the hell out of the way things were, say, in 1955, when about a
student a semester who was in a school for the blind due to blindness from
diabetes would shuffle off this mortal coil due to either hypoglycemia or
hyperglycemia. I'm not kidding.

"What happened to Linda Chick? She was OK before Christmas break!" "Oh,
haven't you heard? She died of insulin shock!" "Darn, that's too bad! Say,
what's for lunch?"

It wasn't that we didn't care but it happened often enough that it wasn't
unusual.

What a difference (for *everyone*) meters and fast-acting and basal insulins
and even oral medications have been!

Mike Freeman