[Diabetes-talk] Very Off Topic

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:44:22 UTC 2013

It will be difficult to teach someone the computer when not using the
exact same medium. Since your husband still uses sight, though
magnified, it will be slightly different when it comes to how to
manipulate commands and the lay-out. Some terms are a little different
too like screenreader users typically say combo box while sighted users
say drop-down menu. While you are audibly seeking a button or link, a
sighted person visually finds it at the top right or middle left. Screen
readers will access functions with various key strokes while most
sighted people are still slaves to the MOUSE. Etc.

Sighted people who have worked with screenreaders, or who have the
patience, will do much better at teaching the computer. This has been my
experience. Likewise, when I try to work with a sighted person on using
the computer, say my mom, we often encounter road blocks because of the
same reasons. I'm describing functions by providing names and not
necessarily specific locations or visual descriptions. Meanwhile, my mom
is only looking for things visually. So when online, she's looking for
the web address dialogue box, and I'm actually explaining how to access
it. Some people bridge this divide easily and others not so much, and it
has little to do with knowledge and intellect; it's just one of those
things, grin.