[Diabetes-talk] Testing Frequency

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 12 16:12:49 UTC 2013

Vickie,

What anyone has said here is based on personal experience, and at the
end of the day, you have to do what you feel is right; what your gut
tells you.

I have to applaud you for being so proactive. I'm only 32, but I've had
type one diabetes for 27 years. The minute I was diagnosed, as difficult
as it was for my parents to hear, they got proactive. Always being
healthy people, it wasn't terribly difficult to do, but they sought
education wherever they could, and this was long before the internet.
Wow, can't believe I'm old enough to say that, grin.

My mom made the entire household eat what I did, and my sibling's sugar
in-take was just as limited as mine. Apparently they weren't initially
given much information, but my mom researched and found the best
pediatric endocrine possible at the time, which meant driving four hours
to Omaha every three months. By the age of six, I was testing my own
blood sugars, and drawing and delivering insulin with supervision. My
mom always instilled a sense of independence in me as well as the desire
to be knowledgeable on personal subjects.

So this has carried into my adult life, though admittedly I'm not
perfect and have had my moments of not following this sage example. I
continue to be in the know about diabetes news though, hence
participating on this list, and when my son was born with a strange
infection, or at least showed symptoms of an infection, and eventually
had to have a G-button feeding tube implanted, I wore the nurses and
doctors down with questions, researched and read as much literature as
possible. Fortunately, he no longer has the feeding tube, but I was so
grateful my mom raised me the way she did. Regardless of her parenting
flaws, she taught my siblings and me to be independent and proactive.

My point is that you are doing exactly what you should by researching,
working with a doctor and recognizing that changes must happen in your
life. This is such a difficult thing to do. Being only four when
diagnosed, this is pretty much all I have known; I can't imagine
becoming diabetic well after adulthood. You really are an example of how
the process should go after the diagnosis.