[Diabetes-talk] Still needing help for someone to learn to check her blood sugar

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Dec 15 20:38:33 UTC 2014

I don't think a phone call will do it: you and the knowledgeable woman are
actually going to have to go out and work with the woman physically.

And I *still* say that it would be better for you and the client to
physically work with a certified diabetes educator. Once the client has got
the thing down, she can work with her own physician or do whatever she
likes. And I'm not saying it's impossible for a knowledgeable friend to
help. But often the friends know little about teaching someone to do
something, let alone knowledgeable in how a blind person does things.

With great respect and with no criticism implied, it appears to me that both
you and your client seem somewhat resistive to getting your client the best
care. Although for the most part, diabetes care can be reduced to the level
of a nuisance just as blindness can, it (diabetes) isn't something to mess
around with.

Since you seem to have your road mapped out, I am moved to wonder what help
you really want from us?

Admittedly, I didn't receive instruction in a class or one-on-one. But when
I was in the hospital in DKA and discovered I had diabetes, a CDE gave me
instruction on how to test blood sugar and how to give myself shots although
I didn't do the latter for real until I had to do it myself anyway.

But what are you wanting help with?

Thanks.

Mike Freeman