[Diabetes-talk] iBGStar

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jan 23 04:24:01 UTC 2014

An update:

I hadn't looked at the iBGStar app from Sanofi-Aventis since early this
fall. An update was released in December, 2013, which resolved a bunch of
problems such that the app would work with iOS versions from 3 on and
iPhones from the 3GS to the iPhone 5C and 5S. Although I haven't read clear
through the documentation yet and won't get a chance to do so until after
Washington Seminar, it appears that this version of the app, though awkward
(one must double-tap buttons labeled with numbers to enter values), is
accessible using VoiceOver. This is a vast improvement on the version of the
app Veronica Elsea and I tested early this past fall. So when I get back
from DC, I may purchase the meter and some test strips and give the app a
go.

One can enter bg readings, insulin and carbs into the app's database using
these number buttons, as I say, though exactly how it all fits together
won't be clear to me until I read through the documentation.

Some cautions: it is not clear to me that a blind person can set up the
meter that talks to the iBGStar app independently, i.e., set its date/time,
pair up the Bluetooth connection with the iPhone, etc. I do not immediately
see a way to do any of this from the iPhone app and this makes sense; the
app only works with the meter once the iPhone is paired with it.

This isn't exactly an accessible insulin pump but it has some possibilities
for Alan although, as I say, I'd bet the meter itself could not be set up by
a blind person which would negate the usefulness of the system unless one
wished to use the iBGStar app only to record one's log.

Mike Freeman