[Diabetes-talk] Heart attack

Veronica Elsea via Diabetes-talk diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 17:31:57 UTC 2014

Frankly, having watched this with my hubby, I really don't like how we treat
people after something like this. Blame and over-simplify, that seems to be
the American way these days. Yes, food can be a part of the picture. But
they should make it part of the picture and say, here's what might be a good
idea, etc. According to the information we got in the cardiac classes, one
of the biggest contributors to high cholesterol is stress. And cholesterol
is only one part of the picture. And truly, if you want people to change
behavior, you sure aren't going to do it by making them defensive. And I
think there are plenty of ways to educate people without doing the "you were
bad bad bad" routine. Even if you were, okay, it's done and now we have to
move on. Everyone seems to have gone to positive training for animals
because it makes them so much happier and gets better results, supposedly,
but we hang on to negative for the humans. Why? My theory is that if we can
blame the person for whatever happens, then we can rationalize, I don't do
that so it won't happen to me. Of course, sometimes we do actually do things
that hurt us in the end and sometimes we can be angels and bad stuff still
happens. I just wish we'd show more compassion and creativity in the whole
process.
And Dar, I'll see if I can remember the name of this really cool web site I
found a few years ago where you'd send in your recipes, tell them how you
wanted to adapt them, less sugar, less salt or whatever and they'd send you
back the revised recipe. But it might be fun to search for such a thing. I
hope you can find someone that helps you make cooking and eating fun, rather
than a medical model. You should be able to enjoy the life you still have.
<grin>
Hope you feel better soon.
Veronica

We woof you a Merry Christmas!
Make the humans and dogs on your list really happy by giving them music from
Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407