[Diabetes-talk] Dex com and T simple

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Oct 2 22:07:50 UTC 2014

Sandy and all, I attended one of the Taking Control of your Diabetes
seminars in March of 2013. I suspect we probably spoke to some of the same
people, especially the doctors. James, oh umm, forgot his last name, the guy
who came up with the talking remote for Medtronic pumps was also there. In
the exhibit hall I spent a lot of time with several of the pump companies,
though Animas wasn't there. And yes, the Animas screens are easy to read.
I've even done it with the KNFB reader, although it's not really a practical
way to function.
With me, the Tandem folks were great. I played extensively with the T-slim
pump to see if templates could be made to match the icons on the touch
screen. Unfortunately, no two screens were alike so it wouldn't be practical
to make an overlay. But they were willing to let me try the pump for a
month. The Omnipod folks were great as well. Oh nobody was going for speech,
but the individuals I met were very interested and it was fairly easy to get
into fine details since I'd been such a long-time pump user.
As for CGM, well, I actually do have a Dexcom. Trouble is, accessibility
aside, as many questions as I asked, nobody bothered to mention that you
can't take Tylenol when you're using it unless you shut it off for about six
hours. So, mine's in the box. <grin> And they really don't get you out of
any finger sticks either because you have to regularly calibrate them
against, guess what? A finger stick!
But it's good that the people running this excellent conference hear from
one of us everywhere they go. Maybe they'll know someone who knows someone,
and so on and so forth. I think the thing that impressed me th most was the
incredible amount of respect shown to those with Type Two. It was just oh so
refreshing.
Thanks for your report.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407