[Diabetes-talk] Lantus pin

Sandra Ryan sjryan2 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:17:50 UTC 2015

Hi Dar,

I just did a rather in depth talk to my Iowa DAN this month about all the
various diabetes medications, including insulin.  I'm not an expert, but let
me try to explain why you're on the insulin besides the pills.

I'm not sure what you're on, but I wonder, since they asked about Lantus as
an alternative, if it's Levemir.  Both are long-acting insulins, and they're
often used with Type 2's who tend to have highs and lows.  If this is what
it's used for, I suspect you don't use much and it's only once or twice a
day, right?  The goal is not to lower your blood sugar using this insulin,
but to stabilize it.  It keeps a little insulin available at all times to
keep you from having highs or lows.  The pills are what are keeping the
blood sugar down and lowering your A1C.  You don't say which pills you're
on, but there are eight different classes of pills available for Type 2's,
plus insulin and new things that work with a class of hormones.  All this
since 1994!  Before that it was insulin and one type of pill!

I don't understand the prices of diabetes supplies.  They seem to be set
arbitrarily and to change whenever I need new ones!  I'm not using insulin,
so don't know what the pens cost, but I bet someone here uses them and can
help you.

Sandi