[Diabetes-talk] Vitamins and supplements that have positiveresults for Diabetics

Sandra Ryan sjryan2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 20:10:44 UTC 2015

One thing it might be useful for many of us to know is that a severe
deficiency of Vitamin B12 (called pernicious anemia) causes neuropathy very
similar to diabetic neuropathy. It can cause other neurological symptoms,
too, like dementia. When my B12 was extremely low, I had neuropathy in both
my feet and my hands to the point that sometimes I couldn't work on the
computer for an hour at a time because of my hands tingling. I am now on a
1,000-milligram B12 injection each month (I administer it myself), which
maintains my level of this crucial and not well-understood vitamin at normal
levels. Vitamin B12 levels depend on your body to make a substance in the
stomach called Intrinsic Factor to activate the vitamin for the body's use,
and I no longer make it at all, apparently. When the pharmaceutical
companies let the supply run low two or three years ago, I nearly got too
low again, and that leads to blood transfusions to combat the severe anemia.

Sorry for the long description, but you need to know there are other causes
of neuropathy, too.

Sandi