[Diabetes-talk] Diabetic pump questions

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Aug 4 17:04:46 UTC 2016

Hi Walter!
First, welcome. There are some articles and book chapters that talk a bit
about pumps. I don't know specifically what's in the book "Bridging the gap"
on the NFB web site. But for starters I will tackle the questions you asked
here.

Your questions:

1.       Is it possible to remove the pump at times for convenience and re
attach at my leisure? I am a business owner and attend seminars and
conferences as well galas where I encounter potential clients and customers.
I already have a hard sale by being blind, I really don't want to look like
the million dollar man with this device in plain view, so at times I would
probably take it off when I deem appropriate.
Answer: Your pump is not in plain view. It's a small device which you hide
under your clothing if you want. I have a little waist band and the pump is
hidden under my top, but easily grabbable when I want it. These days with
everyone carrying phones and such in their pockets, nobody will notice so
you won't need to take it off other than during a shower.

2.       I am a type 2 diabetic and am not insulin dependant. Will the pumps
work with the other medications such as those that come in a pin? I can't
think of any of the names of any of the products at this time, senior
moment, LOL.
Answer: What the pump delivers is insulin. So if you're taking something
like Victoza, you would use the pen separately for that. You and your doctor
would decide about any oral meds you'd take in combination with the insulin.
But if on the pump, you would no longer need to use long-acting insulin. The
pump only uses short-acting because it's constantly delivering insulin to
you.

3.       What types of activities would I have to refrain from?
Answer. Non, really. I do take my pump off if I swim. So other than super
deep water activities, you'd just do your normal life.

4.       How do the pump get refilled with medicine? Is  this something that
I do or will I need to go to my doctor?
Answer: In the pump itself you place a cartridge which contains insulin.
Different pumps carry different amounts of insulin. Pump cartridges can hold
from 200 to 315 units of insulin. You can definitely fill a cartridge
yourself. You drop the cartridge inside the pump. Then you attach tubing to
the top of the cartridge. This tubing connects to what's called a cannula,
which is a little bitty thing inserted into, well, you. So then when you
program the pump to deliver insulin, it's carried through the tubing and
goes into you. You don't feel it either.
In your business example, what I like most about a pump, well, one of the
things I like most is the ability to be at a luncheon and stand in line,
then just push a button quickly so I get the amount of insulin I need to
cover the food I'm eating. Then if an hour later someone suggests going for
coffee to close a sale or something, no big deal. I don't have to grab stuff
and inject in front of a client. I do know some type II's who use the pump
as long-acting insulin because they don't take short-acting insulin for
meals. If that's you and you require a set dose of insulin each day, there's
a patch that just goes against your abdomen and nobody will know a thing.
Anyway, that's the intro for you. I hope it helps and feel free to ask any
questions you want. We all joined this list at one time so it's no big deal
if things get repeated a bit. <grin>

I have been a diabetic for several years, but have received more information
the brief time that I have been accessing  this mail list than I have the
entire time that I have been a diabetic.

If there is a document and/or diabetic pump for dummies pamphelet, LOL, some
where, please let me know.

My questions:

1.       Is it possible to remove the pump at times for convenience and re
attach at my leisure? I am a business owner and attend seminars and
conferences as well galas where I encounter potential clients and customers.
I already have a hard sale by being blind, I really don't want to look like
the million dollar man with this device in plain view, so at times I would
probably take it off when I deem appropriate.

2.       I am a type 2 diabetic and am not insulin dependant. Will the pumps
work with the other medications such as those that come in a pin? I can't
think of any of the names of any of the products at this time, senior
moment, LOL.

3.       What types of activities would I have to refrain from?

4.       How do the pump get refilled with medicine? Is  this something that
I do or will I need to go to my doctor?

This  is just a few questions that I have, please forgive me if these
questions have been asked and answered before. Please feel free to contact
me off line, if you would like, at the contact information below. Don't
hesitate to utilize the toll free number, L2T is my company.

Blind love is the answer, presently , and for our future!

Much Love,

Walter Mitchell

Member, NFB Ohio, Cincinnati chapter

(513) 582-8606 Mobil

(800) 340-8211 ext. 101  L2T Products and Services Toll free

Walterl.mitch2 at gmail.com Email

Follow the NFB of Ohio on:

Face Book, https://m.facebook.com/ohiosblind

Cincinnati Chapter: