[Diabetes-talk] Diabetic pump questions

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Thu Aug 4 17:04:25 UTC 2016

Walter,

There unfortunately isn’t a Pump User’s Guide for Dummies, but asking questions and talking with other blind diabetics who use pumps is a good resource as well as talking with your diabetic doctor and diabetic educator.

I’ve been using a Medtronics pump for the last two and a half years now.  And I started by asking people on this list if I could talk with them on the phone.  Veronica Elsa & Vinny Chainey were both very helpful and informative.  I also asked my diabetic educator about what pumps might be good ones to investigate.  I had also called a few pump manufacturers and asked if they could come to my home to show me their pumps.  The pumps are expensive devices and I think many companies will be willing to send a rep to meet with you.  If you’re more comfortable, you could meet with them with your CDE in the doctor’s office.  You can ask them to show you the pump and show you how it is filled and used.

Of course, what pumps you can get will depend on your insurance, unless money isn’t a problem and you don’t mind paying out of pocket what insurance will not cover.

As for how insulin delivery through a pump will interact with your type 2 meds is a question better left to your doctor & CDE team.

You can disconnect pumps and re-attach them when you need to, or settings can be made for certain times of the day when you might run lower BG numbers and the rate of delivery can be altered.  As for disconnecting during a meeting, the pump is so small you can easily wear one and no one will even know you have it on.  There are different ways to clip them on or pouches you can buy that will hold and hide them from public viewing.

Its an important & personal decision, so if you need more information or want to ask any more questions about pumping, I’d be happy to talk with you.  If you want to talk, write me off-list and I can send you my phone number or email me your number and I can call you.

Good luck.

Eileen
.