[Diabetes-Talk] [Diabetes-talk] I am very sad to let you know about the passing away of Mike Freeman, President of Diabetes Action Network

TALey at ups.com TALey at ups.com
Wed Dec 28 20:56:40 UTC 2016

We will, indeed, all miss Mike Freeman. His efforts on behalf of the blind of Washington state, and of the nation, especially those of us living with diabetes, were driven by his belief in the capabilities of the blind in every-day-life, and in the dignity of living independently. He loved to engage with people, and always had such encouraging words to those new on this list.

If my information is correct, Mike was diagnosed with kidney cancer.

I will miss him on this list, at conventions, in our efforts on the NFB R&D committee, and especially in our efforts together to improve the lives of those living with diabetes and vision loss. I first personally befriended Mike back in 1995 when working as a support analyst for a company named Blazie Engineering. Blazie manufactured small hand-held Braille based electronic notetakers named the Braille And Speak, and later the Braille Lite. Mike was a frequent contributor to our email support list serves, and just like on this list, Mike could always be counted on to share his experience and expertise with others.

Bernie - I know it is with a heavy heart that you take over leadership of the Diabetes Action Network of the NFB. I wish you and the board continued success, and even greater success going forward.

Tom Ley