[Diabetes-talk] New Member To The List

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 23:00:06 UTC 2016

Daniel,

I ask this with complete sensitivity, but will a nurse permantly assist with
your insulin injections, or is the plan for you to eventually do it
independently? Those of us on the list taking insulin do so without
supervision. Myself, I am a type 1 diabetic using an insulin pump. I'm
totally blind and never had problems with my pump due to my error. And I do
not have daily supervision to operate it's daily functions. Same with my
glucose testing and recording of those blood sugars. I use insulin pens for
back-up should something happen to my pump, which in 12 years, has only
happened twice, and it was an internal problem, but when I have had to use a
pen, I do so without sighted assistance.

My point being that you can manage your diabetes on a daily basis
independently. I say this to encourage you because often when we lose vision
and/or experience a new diagnosis as a blind person, we are not always
expected to handle it on our own, or treated as though we can. Know many on
this list are here to support, advise and share. If you have questions, just
ask. We all have, or are, going through similar experiences, and most of us
have an experience to share.

Good luck.