[Diabetes-talk] First Time Meter Newbie Help

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Wed Mar 2 23:09:19 UTC 2016

Hi there,
I can't answer all of the questions because I use a Prodigy Voice meter, not
the Solace.  But, as far as lining up the end of the strip with the blood,
at the risk of sounding crass, point the end of the strip to where the pain
is coming from.  If necessary, make small circles around that spot getting
closer to the spot, try to be careful not to smear the blood, or you'll have
to prick yourself again.  Regarding the control solution, you should get
some with your supplies and yes, as a totally blind person, it should be
possible for you to do the control solution test on your own.  At first you
may need some help from your nurse or over the phone help, but you'll get
the hang of it.  I put the meter on control solution mode, squeeze a drop or
two of solution onto my finger, and then move the end of the strip like I
would during an actual glucose test.  It's actually easier for me than the
actual blood test, because the bottle is very much like a bottle of eye
drops, which I have been taking for many years.  And I will be sure to get
at least one drop on my finger.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.