[Diabetes-talk] HELP USING THE PRODIGY AUTO CODE METER

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue May 10 20:35:13 UTC 2016

Anita:

Insofar as I am aware, there is no accessible copy of the Autocode manual.
This isn't surprising as the Autocode is nowhere as accessible as is the
Prodigy Voice. You will have to have sighted assistance to set up the
Autocode and you won't be able to review readings in memory nor will you be
able to repeat the speech of the last reading; reviewing readings from
memory requires sight. In other words, the autocode speaks the current
reading *Once* so you'd better be listening closely and be ready to write it
down.

All is not lost, however. The Prodigy Voice can use Autocode strips so just
get a Prodigy Voice and get the Autocode strips from your pharmacy; no one
will be the wiser. That's what I do.

As for alternate site testing, I know of no blind person who has
successfully done this precisely because one can't feel where one poked. I
ran into a diabetes educator once who maintained that it could be done but,
as I say, I've never known any blind person who did this because one has to
let the blood flow up into the tube when you poke.

So for most people, finger-sticking it is. We can help you with this.

Pharmacies/doctors most often have *no* idea what it takes to make an
accessible meter and they tend to think that if it talks at all, it is
accessible. Balderdash!

Mike Freeman