[Diabetes-talk] Cereals and snacks I can eat?

Doula Jarboe doula.jarboe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 04:14:40 UTC 2016

Hi Terri,
 I understand your frustration with trying to adapt your diet for
diabetes. Because I have to adapt my diet for more than just diabetes
alone. I pretty much avoid cereal completely. I really enjoy plain
Greek yogurt, add in some fresh fruit, and some Truvia, and I find it
very filling. I avoid chemicl sweeteners, and stick to either cane
sugar Truvia or Stevia, which are a lot less likely to spike sugars. I
tend to avoid bananas because of the charch, and pineapple is pretty
high sugar wise. Cottage cheese is another good source of protein. I
really enjoy cottage cheese and sliced peaches. If you are a soda
drinker, there's a brand out there called Nevia which uses Stevia to
sweeten the soda. I've found it at Whole Foods, not sure who ebbpe
carries it, and yes they do have Coke, although I'm not a coke fan
myself. If you enjoy sweet tea, could you possibly brew your own and
then add truvia or stevia or cane sugar for the sweetener? And maybe
see if over time you can enjoy and less sweet. Watch out for high
fructose corn syrup, it's in a lot of products these days, and isn't
healthy. I don't know where you live, but if you have a local Yhgurt
Land, it's a good place for a sweet tooth, because it's frozen yogurt,
so a lot healthier than ice cream places. Sometimes, it can take some
playing around to see what spikes your sugar and what doesn't.  For
instance, I know that popcorn doesn't spike my sugar all that much.
Also, a good alternative to peanut butter that I like is almund
butter.  I also discovered recently that sunflower butter exists too,
but I don't have much experience with that one.  Hope these things
help.
Doula Hope this