[Diabetes-Talk] Dexcom question and info.

TALey at ups.com TALey at ups.com
Mon Apr 3 11:38:57 UTC 2017

Veronica,

I have tried the iPhone widget for the Dexcom G5 Mobile app, and as you have reported, it does not provide the number with VoiceOver. It only announces the label of "current ebg" which I think stands for estimated blood glucose, but it does not speak the value.

If my tape does not come off, and if the site itself does not become itchy, I have very accurate readings on a Dexcom sensor for up to 14 days, which aligns with what they said at the conference you attended.

My son has type 1 diabetes and has very sensitive skin. He had lots of problems with terrible itching and inflammation when trying to wear the Dexcom sensors. His pediatric endocrinologist also recommended spraying the area where the sensor would go with a steroid containing spray. If you have seasonal allergies and have ever used a nasal spray like Flo-nase or Nasonex, that is such a steroid containing spray. It worked very well for my son. He first uses the alcohol prep on the area, lets it dry, then sprays the skin with Nasonex and lets it dry. Then he inserts the new sensor.

Veronica - thanks for the info on Grif Grips. I've not tried them, but I've seen them advertised in Gary Scheiner's diabetes newsletter, and I trust Gary's opinions. He wrote the very popular book "Think Like a Pancreas" which is all about the science of using an insulin pump. We will await your report.

Tom
He has had T1D for decades himself.